Sunday, June 28, 2015

6 22 to 6 28

mon 8 miles 54 min railbed workout 3x1500 535 457 454 the first one finished with a climb thats easy if your not trying to run fast. if you are trying to run fast its not easy. the other 2 are slightly downhill, maybe 2% grade. feeing good about the effort. sontag ran it too and ran well (549 530 520). then i went bowling. had a 600 series in league (190 205 205). after that, about ten of us stayed to bowl more. we put a dollar each in the pool for every game, high score gets the money, no handicaps. i had some good games 222 190 211 but didnt win. the last game everyone was on fire (6 people over 200). i had a bad start and was only 67 in the 4th frame. i started to pile up some strikes. i had 6 in a row and needed 1 more to win (the score to beat was 236). i got 2 more strikes and won with a 247. i needed this kind of an afternoon/night after a tough day at school. yup you heard right, still have 2 more days of school.

tues 5 miles with the kid. it was hot and we wanted it to rain. it didn't happen. i wasn't sore, which was a big surprise. i guess 4 hours of bowling right after a workout is a good cooldown.

weds bowling 643 series (225 184 234). stayed to bowl more 218 202.

fri/sat did an overnight trail relay at northfield mountain. i raced 3 times in 11 hours. it was a total of 15 miles, but it felt like a lot more than that. it was a lot of fun. thats all i got for a race report right now. lazy.

sunday- really sore but at least i can walk. i guess ill do a race report now. it was an 8 man trail relay at northfield mountain, with each of us racing 3 times for a total of about 15 miles. we had a solid team put together (me, jonny, bob, seth, gazelle, wooley, garvin, and galoob). i expected to be the slowest guy by a bit, but i was thinking if i was the slowest then our team was pretty good. greg was on another team, but he got to hang out with us a lot, so that was cool. i got there at 3 and met up with the guys. once i settled in i started having fun. jonny was very concerned with how many chromium replacement beverages i might drink, but i wanted to race well for the team, so it wasn't going to be an issue. my first loop was at 6pm. i was happy to start with the hardest one, 6.5 miles with 2 killer climbs (29 of the first 33 minutes). then it was almost all downhill and single track. i ran hard, like it was the only race i would run that day. i did it in 53:30, which was close to bobs super spreadsheet prediction. the 2nd one was at 11pm, a 4.8 mile loop. on paper it was easier (one 15 min climb, then a ton of single track descent) but i was slipping a lot due to how wet everything got. i killed the climb, then ran hard when i could on everything else. i was frustrated with how the conditions limited how fast i ran down the mountain. i finished in 40:50 but felt i could've gone way faster if it was dry. i started the 3rd loop at 430am (3.5 miles with an 8 min climb). since it was my last one, i was prepared to turn myself inside to run a good time. i absolutely destroyed myself on the climb, maybe a bit too much. i got to the top and was gassed. i struggled for about a minute, then i was able to start hammering the descent. it was on a dirt and grass road so there was no issue with slipping. i saw a one mile to go sign and found another gear. i ran a 554 last mile and finished in 24:20 something. i was spent. i staggered to our campsite and opened possibly the most well deserved chromium replacement beverage ive ever had. a few hours later, bob ran past us and we followed him across the finish line. im not sure if we won, but i don't think any of us got passed at any point, so i like our chances. i had a great time hanging out with the guys. im really happy they asked me to be on the team.


  1. Good running with you at Ragnar, Boj. Exhausting but fun.

  2. yeah man, for sure. today someone asked me if I would do it again. I said if those guys wanted to I would. they said I was crazy. fine with me.